Today begins Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, where we recognize & celebrate those of Asian and Pacific Islander descent in the United States.
This month, we are taking time to celebrate the AAPI community & their contributions on our social media, along with highlighting ways you can support the AAPI community today, especially as we continue to see significant Anti-Asian racism in this country.
As we know, no one is free until we all are. While this month should focus on celebration, it is also important and vital to acknowledge & right the wrongs this country has committed against the AAPI community. We must do better. We must continue to stand up and call out hate when we see and hear it.
As we start this month, here are a few things that you can do to support AAPI communities today
- Celebrate AAPI communities with others. Here are some great ideas from @ClockoutDC.
- Support AAPI-owned businesses & brands. Check out this list of national brands to support. For local businesses, find ideas here and here.
- Fund organizations like Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC, who have been supporting the AAPI communities for decades & the National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF), which is focused on building power with AAPI women and girls.
- See Something, Say Something. Report hate crimes against the AAPI community at StandAgainstHatred.org & Stop AAPI Hate.
- Continue to educate yourself. The Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center has great resources.