Election Day. A chance to make our voices heard. Midterm elections are historically marked by low voter turnout, but early 2018 reports suggest a new energy this time around.
The energy brings excitement and hope. We are excited to have women, communities of color, and other marginalized populations raise their voice through the ballot box. Women make a difference. Time and time again, women show up, step up, and do the work to create real change.
This is your voice, your vote, and your future. If you did not get a chance to vote early we want to make sure you cast a ballot today. Here’s what you need to know:
• Polls are open in D.C. and Maryland from 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. In Virginia, polls are open from 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. You can find your polling place using this tool from Rock the Vote.
• Washington D.C. is one of the few places in the country that offers same-day voter registration! That means you can register to vote and cast your ballot on election day. You do need to show proof of residence – for more information click here to visit the D.C. Board of Elections.
• Virginia law requires all voters to provide an acceptable form of photo identification when voting in person at their polling place. For a listing of accepted forms of Photo ID, see this list from the Virginia Department of Elections.
• Unsure of what is on your ballot? Get information specific to your community and full candidate guides by visiting Vote411.org.
• Should you experience problems at the polls election protection volunteers stand ready to assist. Dial 866-OUR-VOTE. The hotline is available in Spanish at 866-VE-Y-VOTA. A similar hotline is available at 888-API-VOTE with operators fluent in several Asian languages.
Activist and Labor leader Dolores Huerta captured the urgency of the vote succinctly when she said, “Every moment is an organizing opportunity, every person is potential activist, every minute a chance to change the world.”
We each have a moment today, please use yours at the ballot box. Already voted? Take a moment to check in on a friend!