Empowering young girls through mentoring, prevention, opportunities, education, and Leadership while providing access to resources that foster self-realization, academic excellence and optimal health and well-being.
What is EMPOwERgirlz?
The EMPOwERgirlz Youth Mentoring and Leadership Development program is a school-based program that serves girls between the ages of 11-17 in targeted public and charter schools. Program participants are exposed to educational workshops, STEAM programs, community service projects, mentoring and support services in order to develop a commitment to academic success, foster essential life skills, develop an understanding of healthy and respectful relationships, and increase the awareness of social issues while building their self-esteem.
Our areas of focus include:
Cultural Awareness | Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math (STEAM) | Health & Well-Being | Civic Engagement and Leadership Development | Diversity and Racial Justice Empowerment | College Readiness and Career Development
** EMPOwERgirlz Youth Mentor Applications Now Open! **
This is your chance to invest in the life of a young girl while developing marketable leadership skills. As a mentor, you can make a difference in the lives of DC Metro Area youth! Join TODAY!
• Agree to make a one (1) year commitment as a mentor
• Spend a minimum of eight (8) hours per month one on one with a mentee
• Mentoring sessions can take place one-on-one, at a location in the community, as well as during structured activities organized by the project.
• Mentors are encouraged to attend all EMPOwEgirlz monthly group sessions as well as interact with their mentees on a weekly basis outside of the program to build and maintain meaningful relationships with their mentees.
• Mentors participate in an interview, complete a criminal background check and child abuse clearances, attend an orientation and meet & greet to get started.
• YWCA offers two mandator in-service trainings to support your relationship with your mentee.
If this is an opportunity that you are interested in, please complete the form below and e-mail it to Cheryl Johnson, Director of Youth Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Mentor Application and Forms
Learn how you can be more involved.
Get Help With...