EmpowerGirlz is a Youth Mentoring and Leadership Development program that inspires girls to explore, lead, achieve, and make the world a better place.
What is EMPOwERgirlz?
The EMPOwERgirlz Youth Mentoring and Leadership Development program is a school-based program that serves middle and high school girls in targeted public and charter schools. Program participants are exposed to educational workshops, STEAM programs, community service projects, mentoring and support services in order to develop a commitment to academic success, foster essential life skills, develop an understanding of healthy and respectful relationships, and increase the awareness of social issues while building their self-esteem.
Our areas of focus include:
Cultural Awareness | Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math (STEAM) | Health & Well-Being | Civic Engagement and Leadership Development | Diversity and Racial Justice Empowerment | College Readiness and Career Development
** EMPOwERgirlz Youth Mentor Applications Now Open! **
This is your chance to invest in the life of a young girl while developing marketable leadership skills. As a mentor, you can make a difference in the lives of DC Metro Area youth! Join TODAY!
• Agree to make a one (1) year commitment as a mentor
• Spend a minimum of eight (8) hours per month one on one with a mentee
• Mentoring sessions can take place one-on-one, at a location in the community, as well as during structured activities organized by the project.
• Mentors are encouraged to attend all EMPOwEgirlz monthly group sessions as well as interact with their mentees on a weekly basis outside of the program to build and maintain meaningful relationships with their mentees.
• Mentors participate in an interview, complete a criminal background check and child abuse clearances, attend an orientation and meet & greet to get started.
• YWCA offers two mandator in-service trainings to support your relationship with your mentee.
If this is an opportunity that you are interested in, please complete the form below and e-mail it to Cheryl Johnson, Director of Youth Programs, email@example.com
Youth Mentor Application and Forms
Learn how you can be more involved.
Get Help With...